- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
There are plenty of hiking opportunities in the Flaming Gorge area. Ask at any of the local visitor centers or lodges for recommended hikes. From the Red Canyon Visitor Center you can take three different hikes along the Canyon Rim Trail through the pine forest: an easy ½-mi roundtrip trek will take you to the Red Canyon Rim Overlook (above 1,300-foot cliffs), a moderate 3½-mi roundtrip hike finds you at the Swett Ranch Overlook, and a 7-mi round-trip hike winds through brilliant layered colors to the Green River at the canyon's bottom below the dam.In the Sheep Creek Canyon Geological Area, the 4-mi Ute Mountain Trail leads from the Ute Lookout Fire Tower down through pine forests to Brownie Lake, then back the same way (unfortunately, the fire tower itself is currently closed). The Tamarack Lake Trail begins at the west end of Spirit Lake (on Route 44, go past the Ute Lookout Fire Tower turnoff and take F.S. Road 221 to Spirit Lake) and takes you to Tamarack Lake and back for a moderate 3-mi trek, round-trip.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's