- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Because it mixes high-desert vegetation—blooming sage, rabbit brush, cactus, and wildflowers—and red-rock terrain with a cool climate, Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area is an ideal destination for road and trail biking. The 3-mi round-trip Bear Canyon–Bootleg ride begins south of the dam off U.S. 191 at the Firefighters' Memorial Campground, and runs west to an overview of the reservoir. For the intermediate rider, Dowd Mountain Hideout offers a 10-mi ride with spectacular views of Flaming Gorge through forested single-track trail, leaving from Dowd Springs Picnic Area off Route 44. A free brochure, "Flaming Gorge Trails," describes these and other cycling routes. The brochure is distributed at area visitor centers or online at www.dinoland.com/hikebike.html. Several local lodges rent bikes.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's