- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area
If you happen to be standing in front of the Flaming Gorge or its reservoir with a crowd of people, don't be surprised to hear a few gasps and exclamations of surprise. The sheer size of these bodies of water is astounding, as are the red, narrow-cut walls on either side of the gorge. Though not far from the conventional, suburban town of Vernal, the Flaming Gorge area feels like its own world. This is the kind of place where you let yourself notice the aspen trees quiver, and you hear the birds chirp. The lake and 91-mi gorge also has some of the best boating and fishing opportunities in the state. The Flaming Gorge Reservoir stretches north into Wyoming; however, most facilities lie south of the state line in Utah.
Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area at a Glance
Elsewhere in Dinosaurland and Eastern Utah
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's