- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The best way to experience the geologic depths of Dinosaur National Monument is to take a white-water rafting trip on the Green or Yampa rivers. Joining forces near Echo Park in Colorado, the two waterways have each carved spectacular canyons through several eons' worth of rock, and contain thrilling white-water rapids such as Whirlpool Canyon, SOB, Disaster Falls, and Hell's Half Mile. River-running season is May through September. Remember that permits are required for all boaters.
Adrift Adventures offers one-day or multiday rafting trips, as well as a package that includes rafting in the morning and a horseback ride in the afternoon. 435/789–3600 or 800/824–0150. www.adrift.com.
Dinosaur Expeditions offers trips on the Green, Yampa, and White rivers, all concluding at their local boater-friendly restaurant in Vernal for tall tales and cold beers. 550 Main St., Vernal, UT, 84078. 435/781–0717 or 800/345–7238. www.dinosaurexpeditions.com.
Hatch River Expeditions is the original river-running company; they've been at it since 1929. Their one-day and multiday rafting trips take you through both calm and white waters, and if fishing is your passion, they'll equip you for that, too. 435/789–4316 or 800/342–8243. www.hatchriver.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's