Horseback Riding in Capitol Reef National Park
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Many areas in the park are closed to horses and pack animals, so it's a good idea to check with the visitor center before you set out with your animals. Day use does not require a permit, but you need to get one for overnight camping with horses and pack animals.
Hondoo Rivers & Trails run horseback tours into the national park. Unless you ride with a park-licensed outfitter, you have to bring your own horse, as no rentals are available.
Old Wagon Trail. For spectacular views of Waterpocket Fold, try this popular horse trail. It gradually climbs along the long rampart of Miners Mountain, merging for a short distance with an old route that goes beyond into Boulder Mountain. There's very little shade on this trail. Allow two to three hours. Difficult. On Scenic Dr., about 6 mi south of visitor center, Capitol Reef National Park, UT, 84775.
South Draw. This route gives you access to Tantalus Flats and Boulder Mountain or a return via Pleasant Creek. Difficult. At the end of Scenic Dr., 9 mi south of the visitor center, Capitol Reef National Park, UT, 84775.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $61 & up -- Anaheim Resort near Disney, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $63-$89 -- Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast, 70% Off BookIt.com
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $419 & up -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas & Key West Cruise Royal Caribbean