Bicycling in Canyonlands National Park
White Rim Road. Mountain bikers from all over the world like to brag that they've conquered this 100-mi ride. The trail's fame is well-deserved: it traverses steep roads, broken rock, and dramatic ledges, as well as long stretches that wind through the canyons and look down onto others. If you're biking White Rim without an outfitter, you'll need careful planning, vehicle support, and much sought-after backcountry reservations (available starting in July for the subsequent year). In 2011, the park instituted a 15-person, 3-vehicle limit for groups. You'll need a free day-use permit even if you don't stay overnight. Most White Rim Road journeys begin at the end of Shafer Trail. Off the main park road about 1 mi from the entrance, then about 11 mi on Shafer Trail, Island in the Sky, Canyonlands National Park, UT, 84532. 435/259-4351. www.nps.gov/cany.
Outfitters and Expeditions
Magpie Cycling Adventures. Seasoned bikers Mike Holme and Maggie Wilson lead groups (or lone riders) on daylong and multiday bike trips exploring the White Rim, Needles, and the Maze, as well as Moab and beyond. If you need to rent a bike, Magpie will meet you at its preferred shop, Poison Spider Bicycles. P.O. Box 1496, Moab, UT, 84532. 435/259-4464 or 800/546-4245. www.magpieadventures.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $102.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Moab Hotwire
- Book 3 Nts in Moab this May Fr $156+/Nt Expedia
- Moab Savings! Book at Ramada Moab Downtown Fr $204+/Nt — $204 Expedia