Horseback Riding in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Many of the park's hiking trails were first formed beneath the hooves of cattle wranglers. Today, hikers and riders share the trails and a number of outfitters can set you up with a gentle mount and lead you to the park's best sights. Not only can you cover more ground than you would walking, but equine traffic has the right-of-way at all times. Call ahead to the stables for reservations to find a trip that's right for you, from half an hour to overnight. The biggest outfitters have over 100 horses and mules to choose from, but those under the age of 7 or who weigh more than 220 pounds are prohibited.
Outfitters and Expeditions
Canyon Trail Rides descend to the floor of the Bryce Canyon amphitheater via horse or mule. Most who take this expedition have no riding experience, so don't hesitate to join in. A $50 two-hour ride ambles along the amphitheater floor to the Fairy Castle before returning to Sunrise Point. The $75 half-day expedition follows Peekaboo Trail, winds past the Fairy Castle and the Alligator, and passes the Wall of Windows before returning to Sunrise Point. Two rides a day of each type leave in the morning and early afternoon; there are no rides in winter. To reserve a trail ride, call or stop by their desk in the lodge. Bryce Canyon Lodge, Bryce Canyon National Park, UT, 84764. 435/679-8665. www.canyonrides.com.
Ruby's Red Canyon Horseback Rides. Mount up and retrace trails taken by outlaw Butch Cassidy in Red Canyon National Forest, Bryce Canyon, or Grand Staircase—Escalante National Monument on Ruby's Red Canyon Horseback Rides, which last from half an hour to all day. Riders must be 7 or older. 866/782-0002. www.horserides.net.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1149* -- Auckland RT Air w/Free 2-Night Hawaii Stopover PacificIslands.com
- $59-$84 -- New Orleans Historic Mansion near French Quarter BookIt.com
- $89-$112 -- New Orleans French Quarter Hotel w/Drinks BookIt.com
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel