- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
San Marcos is the largest town between Austin and San Antonio on I-35. It's home to former President Lyndon B. Johnson's alma mater, Texas State University, the crystal-clear Aquarena Springs that feed the San Marcos River, and the Southwestern Writers Collection at the Alkek Library. For the most part it's a college town, but most visitors to San Marcos buzz right by downtown and hit the state's best outlet-mall shopping at the Prime Outlet and the Tanger Outlet malls.
San Marcos at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Hill Country
- Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
- Horseshoe Bay
- Johnson City
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's