- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mason County has the great fortune of being the only place in Texas where you can find blue topaz, the state gem. It is naturally found in many of the granite outcroppings in the area. You can try your hand at panning for the rare blue gem from streambeds and exploring ravines. Two Mason County ranches open their property to the public for topaz hunting, but you have to call in advance to make an appointment. Garner Seaquist Ranch. Mike Seaquist of Garner Seaquist Ranch will meet you in town and take you to his working ranch for a day of topaz hunting. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes, and bring a shovel. 108 Fort McKavitt, Mason, TX. 325/347-5413. no Web site. $15. Feb.-Oct.
Lindsay Ranch. The Lindsay Ranch also offers topaz hunting. 460 Lindsay Rd, Mason, TX. 325/347–5733. no Web site. $10. Feb.–Oct.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe