- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The greatest attraction to Llano is the drive out there. Whether you're heading north from Fredericksburg on Highway 16 or east from Mason on Highway 29, you'll see some of the most beautiful panoramas of rugged hill country in the region. Perhaps the most inspiring features of the scenery are the dramatic granite outcrops that burst from the landscape in pink, speckled domes.
Much of the town's identity today rests in the ranching, farming, and granite industries. Visitors are often attracted by the relaxed atmosphere and activities along the picturesque Llano River. The town square has a historic feel; it's sprinkled with galleries, antiques and gift shops, and a museum of Hill Country wildlife.
Llano at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Hill Country
- Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
- Horseshoe Bay
- Johnson City
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's