- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lake Travis and Lakeway
Lake Travis, the fifth in the series of Highland Lakes fed by the Colorado River, is a refreshing playscape for the Austin and Lago Vista areas, with dramatic Hill Country slopes. When the sun sets on Lake Travis, some of the most brilliant views are enjoyed from the decks of hillside restaurants, where spectators applaud the visual pyrotechnics.
Along the southwest shores of the lake, the town of Lakeway is home to some of Austin's most celebrated golf courses, tennis centers, and boating operations. The 1970s retirement community Lakeway was little more than a quiet retreat for Austinites. Today, with new renovations to the more than 30-year-old Lakeway Inn, countless upscale residential subdivisions, and the myriad restaurants and shops that have popped up along the southern stretch of RR 620, the area is a thriving extension of the Austin-metro area.
Lake Travis and Lakeway at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Hill Country
- Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
- Horseshoe Bay
- Johnson City
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's