San Antonio Sights

San Fernando Cathedral

  • 115 Main Plaza Map It
  • Downtown
  • Religious Building/Site/Shrine

Published 05/04/2017

Fodor's Review

Still an active parish, San Fernando's was built in 1738 by the city's Canary Island colonists. Later, Mexican general Santa Anna raised a flag of "no quarter" here before he stormed the Alamo in 1836, signifying to the Texans that he would take no prisoners. In 1873, following a fire after the Civil War, the chapel was replaced with the present-day construction. Although a tomb holds the remains of some unknown soldiers, modern historians do not believe these were the bodies of the Alamo defenders because evidence of military uniforms, never worn by the Texans, has turned up among the remains.

Sight Information

Address:

115 Main Plaza, San Antonio, Texas, 78205, USA

Map It

Phone:

210-227–1297

Sight Details:

  • Free

Published 05/04/2017

Advertisement

Book A Trip
  • HOTELS

  • FLIGHTS

  • PACKAGES

  • CARS

Map View