Still an active parish, San Fernando's was built in 1738 by the city's Canary Island colonists. Later, Mexican general Santa Anna raised a flag of "no quarter" here before he stormed the Alamo in 1836, signifying to the Texans that he would take no prisoners. In 1873, following a fire after the Civil War, the chapel was replaced with the present-day construction. Although a tomb holds the remains of some unknown soldiers, modern historians do not believe these were the
bodies of the Alamo defenders because evidence of military uniforms, never worn by the Texans, has turned up among the remains.