Parks & Natural Preserves in San Antonio
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Parks & Natural Preserves
For relaxation and recreation, San Antonio boasts several city parks—Crownridge Canyon, Eisenhower, McAllister, Stone Oak, and Walker Ranch among them. The city's star park, however, is picturesque Brackenridge Park, at Broadway and Funston, northeast of downtown in the Alamo Heights neighborhood. In 2006 the comfortably aged park emerged from a five-year, $7.5-million makeover that, among other improvements, transformed roads once used by cars into paved trails for bicyclists and joggers. Additional recreational opportunities at the park include golf, picnicking (grills are provided), pedal boating, fishing, and, for the little ones, burning off energy on the playground equipment. Another option is simply unwinding with a stroll and feeding the ducks. The San Antonio River runs through the park, as does one main thoroughfare, Red Oak Drive.
For more information on Brackenridge Park and other parks in San Antonio, visit the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department's website, www.sanantonio.gov/sapar.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe