- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In case you haven't noticed yet, Houston is huge. Driving across the sprawling city can take over an hour, so be aware how far your destination is before setting out. To travel between Houston and Galveston, jump on I-45, the Gulf Freeway, which links the two cities. It's a pretty uneventful ride, especially during non-rush hours, but can get very congested on summer weekends. From Intercontinental Airport, the ride will be about two hours. From downtown Houston to Galveston, the trip's about an hour. Plan extra time into your schedule, since you never know what can happen on Texas freeways.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6.28 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com