- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
METRO buses serve most of Houston; its Web site features route maps, schedules, and a useful Trip Planner tool. Be aware that Houston is a vast city, so traveling long distances by bus may take quite a long time. Until METROrail's new lines open, your best bet is to travel by car (unless you're sticking to downtown, the Museum District, or other areas currently served by METRO's light-rail line). Galveston is accessible from any region of Texas via the state's extensive intercity bus network. Kerrville Bus Company provides daily bus service between Houston's Greyhound Terminal and Galveston Island. Contact Greyhound Lines for further information.
The City of Galveston's public transportation system is Island Transit. Service covers 27 square mi and all buses are ADA compliant. Island Transit also operates a trolley system, serving Seawall Boulevard, 25th Street, downtown, and the Strand District.
Island Transit. 409/797-3900. www.islandtransit.com.
Greyhound Lines. 800/229-9424. www.greyhound.com.
METRO. 713/635-4000. www.ridemetro.org.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's