The wheelchair-accessible Headquarters Visitor Center has a wheelchair available for use. The ¾-mi round-trip Pinery Trail from the visitor center to Butterfield Stage Ruins is wheelchair accessible, as is McKittrick Contact Station.
The park is open 24/7, year-round. It is in the mountain time zone.
Admission Fees and Permits
An admission fee of $8 is collected at the visitor center. For overnight backpacking trips, you must get a free permit from either Headquarters Visitor Center or Dog Canyon Ranger Station.
There are no ATMs in the park. The nearest ones are in White's City or Carlsbad.
Automobile Service Station
White's City 24-Hour Shell. An unmanned station that takes credit cards only is available 24/7, a godsend for those running on empty in this remote location 35 miles northeast of the Guadalupe Mountains National Park visitor center. 17 Carlsbad Caverns Hwy., White's City, NM, 88220. 575/785-2291.
Cell phones with far-reaching service can pick up signals at key points along trails. Alternatively, public phones are located at Dog Canyon Ranger Station, Headquarters Visitor Center, McKittrick Contact Station, and Pine Springs Campground.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe