Williams Ranch Road
Williams Ranch Road Review
Take in panoramic views and view limestone cliffs up close on this 7¼-mi, one-way drive over what was once the Butterfield Overland Mail Stage Line. The closest highway, U.S. 180, parallels the old trail. The route is rough —you need a high-clearance, four-wheel-drive vehicle—but enjoyable. The road leads to an old ranch house, where James "Dolph" Williams worked with his partner, an Indian named Geronimo (no relation to the historical figure). The drive is locked, so pick up a gate key at the visitor center.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $124* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99-$149 -- Galveston Beachside Resort thru Spring, 45% Off Holiday Inn Resorts Galveston on the Beach
- $109 -- Houston: Downtown Hotel near Convention Center Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
- $8 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com
- $114* & up -- Flights for This Weekend on American, R/T — $114 American Airlines
Okay, we get this little "ski break" early February each year and I'm not much of a skier so I'm always struggling to find a place to go. Read more
We (husband & 9 yr old son) are on an 8 week trip of a lifetime to the US. Read more
Do we need to rent a car whilst situated at the Embassy Suites Hotel off of South Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas?
We will be there for one week at the end of June.
We have family members there who do Read more
· News & Features
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more