Williams Ranch Road
Williams Ranch Road Review
Take in panoramic views and see limestone cliffs up close on this 7¼-mile, one-way drive over what was once the Butterfield Overland Mail Stage Line. The closest highway, U.S. 62/180, parallels a segment of the old trail. The route is rough—you need a high-clearance, four-wheel-drive vehicle—but enjoyable. It takes about an hour. The road leads to an old ranch house at the base of a 3,000-foot cliff, where James "Dolph" Williams worked with his partner, an Indian named Geronimo (no relation to the historical figure). This is a day-trip only; overnight parking prohibited. The drive is locked, so pick up a gate key at Headquarters Visitor Center.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My DW dropped me off at the Amtrak station a little after 8PM in CMO on 2/5. Read more
Last year during end of December, I went for a cross country road trip from San Diego to somewhere east of it. Read more
we are off to san antonio and will be staying right next to the majestic theater. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more