Mountain Biking in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
If you've got a mountain bike or a high-clearance, four-wheel-drive vehicle, cruise to the Williams Ranch Trail. Skittering down it will only take about an hour one way (for vehicles) and will lead you to the Williams Ranch House, which sits alone at the base of a 3,000-foot cliff. Before you set out, check out the gate key at the Headquarters Visitor Center. Then head west on Highway 62/180. Drive 8¼ mi to the brown metal gate with "National Park" signs; be sure to lock the gate behind you once you're through. Proceed for another ¾ mi to another gate; lock this one as well once you're through it. Follow the worn dirt road, which runs past arid scenery and cacti that bloom in the spring months, to the ranch house—and enjoy a great view of El Capitan. Leave before sundown and return the key to the visitor center.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe