Mountain Biking in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
If you've got a mountain bike or a high-clearance, four-wheel-drive vehicle, cruise to the Williams Ranch Trail. Skittering down it will only take about an hour one way (for vehicles) and will lead you to the Williams Ranch House, which sits alone at the base of a 3,000-foot cliff. Before you set out, check out the gate key at the Headquarters Visitor Center. Then head west on Highway 62/180. Drive 8¼ mi to the brown metal gate with National Park signs; be sure to lock the gate behind you once you're through. Proceed for another ¾ mi to another gate; lock this one as well once you're through it. Follow the worn dirt road, which runs past arid scenery and cacti that bloom in the spring months, to the ranch house—and enjoy a great view of El Capitan. Leave before sundown and return the key to the visitor center.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99-$149 -- Galveston Beachside Resort thru Spring, 45% Off Holiday Inn Resorts Galveston on the Beach
- $109 -- Houston: Downtown Hotel near Convention Center Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
- $8 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com
- $118 & up -- Dallas 4-Star Hotel incl. Weekends, 50% Off — $118 Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $56 -- 4-Star North Dallas Hotel — $56 Hotwire.com