Dallas-Fort Worth Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mary Kay Ash: Selling Beauty in a Pink Cadillac
Nothing says Texas like big hair and big makeup, and Mary Kay Ash knew just how to help the women with the big makeup.
The Hot Wells, Texas, native learned how to sell early on, but tired of losing out to men, she went her own way, first as an author and then as a business owner. She turned $5,000 into a business that, by the time of her death in 2001, was selling $2 billion worth of products each year.
Today more than 1.7 million consultants sell Mary Kay products, and a good many of them drive the signature pink Cadillacs that top-sellers earn. The company's headquarters are in Dallas.
Named Texas Woman of the Century in 1999 by the Texas Women's Chamber of Commerce, Ash said her company was guided by the principle, "God first, family second, career third."
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's