Dallas-Fort Worth Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Molly Ivins: The Pen Is Mightier
Liberal newspaper columnist Molly Ivins started writing in the '60s about, as she put it,"militant blacks, angry Indians, radical students, uppity women, and a motley assortment of other misfits and troublemakers." She didn't quit until brutal cancer killed her in 2007.
Ivins found her voice in H. L. Mencken's "comfort-the-afflicted, afflict-the-comfortable" brand of commentary, and her talent for afflicting prompted guffaws in some circles and ridicule in others. Ivins's passion was social justice, and her tool, sharp satire. She called it "the weapon of powerless people aimed at the powerful," and she used it like a knife.
For a time, Ivins edited the Texas Observer, a reliably outraged journal that seemed likelier to be written from Boston than Austin. The California native who grew up in Houston wrote for the Dallas Times-Herald until it folded, and was a columnist for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram for nearly a decade until she went the syndication route. The prize-winning journalist also wrote a number of books, almost all political in nature. She believed if she could make you laugh or wince, she could make you think.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $85-$135 -- Dallas Hotel near the Galleria incl. Weekends Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria
- $127 -- Weekends at 4-Star Dallas-Area Resort, 50% Off The Westin Stonebriar
- $6.28 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com
- $99 -- 4-Diamond Hotel in Dallas Galleria, Save 60% — $99 The Westin Galleria Dallas
- $99-$139 -- 4-Star Dallas Hotel near the Galleria, Save 45% — $99-$139 InterContinental Dallas