Spectator Sports in Dallas-Fort Worth
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Texas Rangers haven't made it to the World Series yet, but the club does have a rich history of beloved players including Nolan Ryan (now the club's president), Jim Sundberg, Oddibe McDowell, Ferguson Jenkins, Charlie Hough, and Juan Gonzalez. The team plays at the beautiful Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, one of the most pleasant parks in the majors. 1000 Ballpark Way, Arlington, TX. 972/726-4377. texas.rangers.mlb.com.
When the Dallas Mavericks are hot, game nights at the American Airlines Center are electric. The Western Conference team, owned by the fiery Mark Cuban, is still chasing its first championship (they came close in 2006, but fell to the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals). 2500 Victory Ave., Victory Park, Dallas, TX. 214/222-3687. www.nba.com/mavericks.
It's impossible to exaggerate the passion fans feel for their Dallas Cowboys. You can feel the love at Texas Stadium through 2008, and at the new stadium in Arlington beginning in 2009. 2401 E. Airport Freeway, Irving, TX. 972/438-7676. www.dallascowboys.com.
There isn't much naturally occurring ice in Big D, but the city learned to be a hockey town when the Dallas Stars moved here from Minnesota. Die-hard fans were rewarded with the Stanley Cup in 1999. 2500 Victory Ave., Victory Park, Dallas, TX. 214/222-3687. stars.nhl.com.
Catch up-and-coming hockey stars at a Texas Tornado game. The minor league team fields 16- to 20-year-olds who compete in the North American Hockey League. 2601 Ave. of the Stars, Frisco, TX. 972/335-9800. www.tornadohockey.com.
FC Dallas has represented the area in Major League Soccer since 1995 (they were first called the Dallas Burn). Their home field, Pizza Hut Park, seats up to 27,000 fans. 6000 Main St., Frisco, Dallas, TX. 214/222-3687. web.mlsnet.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $118 & up -- Dallas 4-Star Hotel incl. Weekends, 50% Off Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $57 -- 4-Star North Dallas Hotel Hotwire.com
- $11.12 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com