- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
McDonald Observatory Visitors Center
McDonald Observatory Visitors Center Review
Check out exhibits, examine sunspots and flares safely via film, or peer into the workings of giant research telescopes. Guided bus tours of the domed observatories depart daily following programs at 11 and 2. After nightfall, the observatory offers public observing activities at star parties. The drive from Fort Davis to the visitor center at 6,235 elevation is worth the trip. The observatory encourages online reservations due to limited tour-group size. Therefore, tickets for all events are slightly cheaper online.
- Address: Hwy. 118, 3640 Dark Sky Dr., Fort Davis, TX 79734 | Map It
- Phone: 432/426–3640; 877/984–7827
- Cost: Programs $9, star parties $14
- Hours: Observatory programs, 11 am and 2 pm daily; star parties, after nightfall Tues., Fri., and Sat.
- Website: www.mcdonaldobservatory.org
- Location: Outside the Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My DW dropped me off at the Amtrak station a little after 8PM in CMO on 2/5. Read more
Last year during end of December, I went for a cross country road trip from San Diego to somewhere east of it. Read more
we are off to san antonio and will be staying right next to the majestic theater. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more