- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Chisos Basin Road
Chisos Basin Road Review
Ever-changing, this 7-mile road climbs south from Chisos Basin Junction, ending at Chisos Mountains Lodge, with a spur leading to a campground. By driving into higher elevations (the heart of Big Bend), you're more likely to spot lions and bears as well as white-tailed deer amid juniper trees and pinyon pines. You'll also see lovely, red-barked Texas madrone along with some Chisos oaks and Douglas fir trees. Several roadside exhibits along the way explain the various ecosystems. Avoid this drive if you are in an RV longer than 24 feet, because of sharp curves.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My DW dropped me off at the Amtrak station a little after 8PM in CMO on 2/5. Read more
Last year during end of December, I went for a cross country road trip from San Diego to somewhere east of it. Read more
we are off to san antonio and will be staying right next to the majestic theater. Read more