Big Bend National Park Feature
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Big Bend National Park
Varied terrain: Visit gilded desert, a fabled river, bird-filled woods, and mountain spirals all in the same day.
Wonderful wildlife: Catch sight of the park's extremely diverse number of animals, including approximately two dozen shy mountain lions and eight to twelve lumbering bears.
Bird-watching: Spy a pied-billed grebe or another member of the park's more than 400 bird species, including the Lucifer hummingbird and the unique-to-this-area pato mexicano (Mexican duck).
Hot spots: Dip into the natural hot springs (105°F) near Rio Grande Village.
Mile-high mountains: Lace up those hiking boots and climb the Chisos Mountains, reaching almost 8,000 feet skyward in some places and remaining cool even during the most scorching Southern summer.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe