Shopping in Austin
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The best way to plumb the depths of any city's character is to go shopping. And once you start browsing in Austin, you'll quickly discover that this city is quite the character.
Sure, Austin has the same chain stores that you'll find anywhere—but the city's true charm dwells in its independently owned establishments. To see the real Austin, browse the funky shops along revitalized South Congress, gaze at the hip downtown storefronts of the up-and-coming 2nd Street District, and stroll among the high-end galleries, antiques, and home-furnishings emporia of the West End. You can trek to legions of book, computer, and music stores, then peruse the handicrafts of local artisans. Along the way, fuel up on organic foods and fresh-roasted coffee.
Out in Northwest Austin and Round Rock, upscale shopping malls are popping up all over the place. The Domain in North Austin, which opened in 2007, is an ambitious project of mixed-use retail, office, and residential space that's extending the affluent downtown vibe practically into the suburbs.
All stores are open daily unless stated otherwise.
Browse Austin Shopping
- Department Stores
- Gifts / Souvenirs
- Music Stores
- Outdoor / Flea / Green Markets
- Outlets / Discount Stores
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe