- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Locals take their out-of-town guests to this local legend for "real Texas food." Kenneth Threadgill opened the original location on North Lamar in 1933 as a gas station that soon evolved into a honky-tonk that drew local musicians, including a pre-fame Janis Joplin in the early '60s. Today Threadgill's is a friendly restaurant with cleaned-up Texas charm, and the main attraction is the massive chicken-fried steak, followed by homemade cobbler and ice cream. Some other mains may disappoint, though veggie sides are satisfying. Live music happens regularly at both locations. The atmosphere is a bit hokey, but Threadgill's has earned it. At this writing, a third location in Cedar Park is set to open in mid-2008.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
The Mineola Nature preserve is a great system of trails for running, mountain biking, hiking or horseback riding in East Texas. Read more
I don’t know if anyone will read this, but I thought I would post a little report about my weekend in west Texas in case anyone does a search on this forum for Fort Davis, the McDonald Observatory, Read more
Winter break to San Antonio, from 22 to 25 Dec, alone, no car... need some good advice from you...
Thanks! Read more
· News & Features
This fall saw the debut of the Hotel Ella, a 47-room hotel in Austin, Texas, set in a reimagined forme... Read more
Top Chef star Brian Malarkey, gearing up to open a new hotel restaurant at the trendy Mondrian Los Angeles,... Read more
Austin's never-ending list of hot new restaurants is tough to keep up with.... Read more