- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Locals take their out-of-town guests to this local legend for "real Texas food." Kenneth Threadgill opened the original location on North Lamar in 1933 as a gas station that soon evolved into a honky-tonk that drew local musicians, including a pre-fame Janis Joplin in the early '60s. Today Threadgill's is a friendly restaurant with cleaned-up Texas charm, and the main attraction is the massive chicken-fried steak, followed by homemade cobbler and ice cream. Some other mains may disappoint, though veggie sides are satisfying. Live music happens regularly at both locations. The atmosphere is a bit hokey, but Threadgill's has earned it. At this writing, a third location in Cedar Park is set to open in mid-2008.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Many thanks to those of you who provided advice on our spring break trip to San Antonio, Texas! Read more
My DW dropped me off at the Amtrak station a little after 8PM in CMO on 2/5. Read more
My friend and I want to visit Austin in July. Read more
· News & Features
Austin's South by Southwest Festival kicks off next week. ... Read more
Kick off your new year's resolution-primed vacation by booking a trip to a close-to-home resort where... Read more
This fall saw the debut of the Hotel Ella, a 47-room hotel in Austin, Texas, set in a reimagined forme... Read more