- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum
Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum Review
Bob Bullock, Texas's 38th lieutenant governor and a potent political force in his day, lobbied hard to establish a museum of state history in his years of public service. Bullock didn't live to see it happen—he died in 1999—but his dream came true in 2001 with the opening of this 176,000-square-foot museum. Four blocks north of the capitol, the museum hosts exhibitions of archaeological objects, documents, and other materials from regional museums throughout the state and also presents historical and educational programs. Exhibits include everything from the letters of Sam Houston to Indian artifacts. The museum has a 400-seat IMAX.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6.28 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com
Okay, we get this little "ski break" early February each year and I'm not much of a skier so I'm always struggling to find a place to go. Read more
We (husband & 9 yr old son) are on an 8 week trip of a lifetime to the US. Read more
I need a restaurant for 13 adults and 3 children. Read more
· News & Features
Think all you need to do SXSW is a ticket to Austin and a hotel room?... Read more
Whether it's a bachelorette party or a gaggle of girls who are looking to get away, we've got just the... Read more
Whether it's for SXSW or just to soak up some cool kid vibes, everyone is heading to Austin.... Read more