- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Book People Review
Texas's largest independent bookstore is a home-grown alternative to the monster chain stores. It began in 1970 as Grok Books, and now stocks best-sellers along with books on topics such as women's studies, personal growth, and alternative home building; there's also a good children's section. Browse magazines; shop for quirky, hard-to-find gifts; and catch readings by local authors as well as literati like Richard Ford, Amy Tan, Jonathan Franzen, and David Sedaris. Former presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton and celebrities such as Lauren Bacall, David Byrne, and Jane Fonda have also made stops here while on book tours.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
The Mineola Nature preserve is a great system of trails for running, mountain biking, hiking or horseback riding in East Texas. Read more
I don’t know if anyone will read this, but I thought I would post a little report about my weekend in west Texas in case anyone does a search on this forum for Fort Davis, the McDonald Observatory, Read more
Winter break to San Antonio, from 22 to 25 Dec, alone, no car... need some good advice from you...
Thanks! Read more
· News & Features
This fall saw the debut of the Hotel Ella, a 47-room hotel in Austin, Texas, set in a reimagined forme... Read more
Top Chef star Brian Malarkey, gearing up to open a new hotel restaurant at the trendy Mondrian Los Angeles,... Read more
Austin's never-ending list of hot new restaurants is tough to keep up with.... Read more