Passports & Visas
Passports & Visas
Entering the United States
Citizens of Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom who plan to stay in the United States for fewer than 90 days do not need entry visas. A valid passport, a return-trip ticket, and proof of financial solvency are required; you'll be asked to fill out the Visa Waiver Form, I-94W, upon entry. Travelers who plan to stay more than 90 days can apply for the appropriate visa at the United States embassy or consulates in their home country. Canadian citizens need valid identification but neither a passport nor a visa to enter the United States.
If you live in the U.K.:
U.S. Embassy Visa Information Line. U.S. Embassy Visa Information Line for U.S. visa information. 01891/200290 calls cost 49p per minute and 39p per minute cheap rate.
U.S. Embassy Visa Branch. U.S. Embassy Visa Branch for U.S. visa information; send a self-addressed, stamped envelope. 5 Upper Grosvenor Sq., London, W1A 1AE.
U.S. Consulate General. Write to the U.S. Consulate General if you live in Northern Ireland. Queen's House, Queen St., Belfast, BTI 6EO.
Office of Australia Affairs. Write to the Office of Australia Affairs if you live in Australia. 59th fl., MLC Centre, 19-29 Martin Pl., Sydney, NSW, 2000.
Office of New Zealand Affairs. Write to the Office of New Zealand Affairs if you live in New Zealand. 29 Fitzherbert Terr., Thorndon, Wellington.
The best time to apply for a passport, or to renew your old one, is in fall or winter. Before any trip, check your passport's expiration date, and, if necessary, renew it as soon as possible.
Australian Passport Office (131-232. www.dfat.gov.au/passports.)
Passport Office (819/994-3500 or 800/567-6868. www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/passport.)
New Zealand Citizens
New Zealand Passport Office (04/494-0700 for information on how to apply; 04/474-8000; 0800/225-050 in New Zealand for information on applications already submitted. www.passports.govt.nz.)
London Passport Office. London Passport Office for fees and documentation requirements and to request an emergency passport. 0990/210-410. www.ukpa.gov.uk/ukpass.htm.
National Passport Information Center (900/225-5674 calls are 35¢ per minute for automated service and $1.05 per minute for operator service. travel.state.gov/passport_services.html.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $93.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Nashville Hotwire
- Quality Inn & Suites Downtown Nashville in May: $219 & Up Expedia
- Save on Your Vacation: 3 Nts Loews Vanderbilt + Air Fr $762 Travelocity
- $12.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Nashville Hotwire
- $59.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Nashville — $59 Hotwire