The U.S. electrical standard is 110 volts/60 cycles AC. Foreign visitors traveling with dual-voltage appliances will not need a converter, but they will need a plug adapter. The standard U.S. electrical outlet takes a plug of two flat pins set parallel to one another.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $139.00 & up : 4.5-star hotels in Memphis Hotwire
- Extended Stay America - Memphis - Mt. Moriah in May: $67 & Up Expedia
- Super Savings on Memphis 4 Nts Htl + Air Fr $681 Travelocity
- $10.95 & up : Compact rentals in Memphis Hotwire
- $67.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Memphis — $67 Hotwire