Great Smoky Mtns. National Park Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Witness the wilderness: This is one of the last remaining big chunks of wilderness in the East. Get away from civilization in more than 800 square miles of tranquility, with old-growth forests, clear streams, meandering trails, wildflowers, and panoramic vistas from mile-high mountains.
Get your endorphins going: Outdoor junkies can bike, boat, camp, fish, hike, ride horses, white water raft, watch birds and wildlife, and even cross-country ski.
Experience mountain culture: Visit restored mountain cabins and tour "ghost towns" in the park, with old frame and log buildings preserved much as they were 100 years ago.
Spot wildlife: Biologists estimate there are more than 1,500 bears, 6,000 deer, and nearly 150 elk now in the park, so your chances of seeing these beautiful wild creatures is quite good.
Learn something new: Take advantage of the interpretative talks and walks.Updated: 09-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's