When to Go
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
The biggest crowds come to Wind Cave from June to September, but the park and surrounding Black Hills are large enough to diffuse the masses. Neither the cave nor grounds above are ever too packed. Park officials contend it's actually less busy during the first full week in August, when the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally brings roughly a half-million bikers to the region, clogging highways for miles around. Most hotels within a 100-mi radius are booked up to a year in advance.
The colder months are the least crowded, though you can still explore underground, thanks to the cave's constant 53°F temperature. The shoulder seasons are also unpopular, though autumn is a perfect time to visit. The days are warm, the nights are cool, and in late September/early October the park's canyons and coulees display incredible colors.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $429* & up -- Premium Economy to Boston from California, O/W Virgin America
- $99 -- Myrtle Beach Hotel w/Ocean Views, Reg. $239 BookIt.com
- $72-$96 -- Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast, $100 Off BookIt.com
- $45 & up -- Florida's Gulf Coast: Deals up to 55% Off The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel
- $749 -- Weeklong Glacier Cruise on Norwegian, Save $210 CruisesOnly