Camping is one of this region's strengths. There are countless campgrounds in the Black Hills and the Badlands. Most of the public land within the national forests and parks is open for camping, provided that you don't light any fires. Keep in mind when selecting your campsite that although the Black Hills don't have any native bears, there is a significant population of mountain lions.
Black Hills Central Reservations, also known as CenRes, offers vacation packages and handles reservations for air travel, car rental, hotels, campgrounds, lodges, ranches, and B&Bs in the Black Hills.
Black Hills Central Reservations. 866/329-7566. www.blackhillsvacations.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe