Bicycling in Badlands National Park
Bicycles are permitted only on designated roads, which may be paved or unpaved. They are prohibited from closed roads, trails, and the backcountry. Flat-resistant tires are recommended.
Sheep Mountain Table Road. This 7-mi dirt road in the Stronghold Unit is ideal for mountain biking, but should be attempted only when dry. The terrain is level for the first 3 mi, then it climbs and levels out again. At the top you can take in great views of the area. About 14 mi north of the White River Visitor Center, Badlands National Park, SD.
Two Wheeler Dealer Cycle and Fitness. Family-owned and -operated Two Wheeler Dealer Cycle and Fitness, based in Rapid City, with a second store on Colorado Boulevard in Spearfish, stocks more than 1,000 new bikes for sale or rent. The service is exceptional. Get trail and route information for Badlands National Park and the Black Hills at the counter. 1800 Haines Ave., 57701. 605/343–0524. www.twowheelerdealer.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's