- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
University of South Carolina
University of South Carolina Review
A highlight of the sprawling university is its original campus—the scenic, tree-lined streets.
Horseshoe. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Horseshoe dates to 1801and features fully-restored 19th century buildings, beautiful gardens, and century-old trees. Bull St. at Pendleton St., 29208. 800/922–9755. www.sc.edu/visitorcenter.
South Caroliniana Library. Explore the special collections on state history and genealogy at the South Caroliniana Library, established in 1840. Sumter St., 29208. 803/777–3131. library.sc.edu. Weekdays 8:30–5, Sat. 9–1.
McKissick Museum. The McKissick Museum has geology, gemstone, and folklife exhibits, as well as a fine display of silver. 816 Bull St., 29208. 803/777–7251. artsandsciences.sc.edu/mckissickmuseum. Free. Weekdays 8:30–5, Sat. 11–3.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I found some useful info here on fodors when I was researching our recent trip two weeks south. Read more
My family and I (11 of us in total) just returned from a 6 night vacation in Charleston. Read more
Which would you choose if you had to? Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more