- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Driving is the best way to get onto Hilton Head Island. Off Interstate 95, take Exit 8 onto U.S. 278 East, which leads you through Bluffton and then onto Hilton Head proper. Once on Hilton Head, U.S. 278 forks. On the right is William Hilton Parkway and on the left is the Cross Island Parkway, which is a toll road ($1.25 each way). If you take the Cross Island (as the locals call it) to the south side where Sea Pines and many other resorts are, it will take about 10 to 15 minutes to get to Sea Pines Circle, depending on traffic. If you take William Hilton Parkway (business U.S. 278), it will take about 30 minutes, again depending on traffic. Be aware that at check-in and checkout times on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, U.S. 278 can slow to a crawl. Be careful of putting the pedal to the metal, particularly on the Cross Island Parkway. The speed limits change dramatically, and it is patrolled regularly.
Once on Hilton Head Island, signs are small and blend in with the trees and landscaping, and nighttime lighting is kept to a minimum. The lack of streetlights makes it difficult to find your way at night, so be sure to get good directions.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's