- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's In Focus Charleston
At a Glance
- luxury bedding, including custom-made mattresses, down pillows, and Italian linens
- each room has a whirlpool tub and iPod docking station
- Second Empire style can strike some people as forbidding
- the building has some of the woes of an old building, including loudly creaking staircases
- location deems pedicab, bike, or car advisable to reach tourist areas
Check Rates from our Partners
Wentworth Mansion Review
Guests at the most grand inn in town admire the Second Empire antiques and reproductions, the rich fabrics, inset wood paneling, and original stained-glass windows, as well as the views from the roofop cupola. In the colder months, the baronial, high-ceilinged guest rooms have the velvet drapes drawn and the gas fireplaces lighted. The complimentary evening wine and delectable hors d'oeuvres are served in the sunny, glass-enclosed parlor. The hot breakfast is made in the inn's laudable restaurant, Circa 1886, which shares the former carriage house with a spa, where treatments include couples massages.
Fulfilling aspirations of an elegant life of leisure comes easily at the Wentworth, a mansion built in 1886. Austrian-crystal chandeliers, hand-carved marble mantles, and stained-glass windows set the tone. In the evenings, complimentary wine and hors d'oeuvres are served on the glass-enclosed porch. A few steps away is the carriage house, now converted into a laudable restaurant and cozy spa.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We attended the Hibernian Ball in Charleston about a week ago and I think I have sufficiently recovered to manage a short trip report.. The Ball is put on by the Irish Benevolent Society and is a grea Read more
We had a wonderful Christmas in Charleston. Read more
My hubby and I are celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary this September and are planning a month long road trip.
We are flying from Belfast to Miami, then heading down to Key West (we go Read more
· News & Features
This gracious port city is home to a hot restaurant scene, three new distilleries, cultural events i ... Read more
Top Chef star Brian Malarkey, gearing up to open a new hotel restaurant at the trendy Mondrian Los Angeles,... Read more
Wine Enthusiast went coast to coast in search of America's superlative wine-and-dine hot spots and came... Read more