- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fort Sumter National Monument
Fort Sumter National Monument Review
Set on a man-made island in Charleston's harbor, this is the hallowed spot where the Civil War began. On April 12, 1861, the first shot of the war was fired at the fort from Fort Johnson (now defunct) across the way. After a 34-hour battle, Union forces surrendered and Confederate troops occupied Sumter, which became a symbol of Southern resistance. The Confederacy managed to hold it, despite almost continual bombardment, from August 1863 to February of 1865. When it was finally evacuated, the fort was a heap of rubble. Today, the National Park Service oversees it, and rangers give interpretive talks and conduct guided tours. To reach the fort, you have to take a ferry or a private boat; ferries depart from the Fort Sumter Visitor Education Center, downtown, and from Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant. There are six trips daily between mid-March and mid-August. The schedule is abbreviated the rest of the year, so call ahead for details. For those using a GPS to find the boat departure points for Fort Sumter, remember to use the address for Patriots Point and the Visitor Education Center, not the mailing address for the fort.
Fort Sumter Visitor Education Center. Next to the South Carolina Aquarium, the visitor center contains exhibits on the antebellum period and the causes of the Civil War. This is a departure point for ferries headed to Fort Sumter. 340 Concord St., Upper King, Charleston, 29401. 843/577-0242. www.nps.gov/fosu. Free. Daily 8:30-5.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Charleston Fr $122+/Nt Expedia
- Explore Charleston For Less! Book Fr $101+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $98/night less
- Elliott House Inn Biggest Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $635 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Carnival Cruise Lines Fr $439 Expedia
- $10.00 & up : Full Size rentals in Charleston Hotwire
My Lady Wife and I visited Charleston this week for an anniversary present to ourselves.
We stayed at
No. 4 Unity Alley B&B Very nice accommodations. Large A/C room with a jacuzzi tub. The Read more
When most people think of SC they think of Charleston or the beaches. Read more
I am in the beginning stages of planning a three week road trip out of Nashville (I'll be flying in). Read more
· News & Features
Charleston is a food-lover's haven and the Lee Brothers are its culinary gatekeepers.... Read more
Dare we point out that Valentine's Day is (already) just a month away?... Read more
We don't like it either, but summer is nearing its end.... Read more