- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Shopping for Sweetgrass Baskets in Charleston
The purchase of a handwoven Charleston sweetgrass basket is proof to your friends that you've been here. For centuries, African-American (Gullah) artisans have been weaving and selling these baskets in the City Market, where they sit busily in their chairs and place their wares on the sidewalk around them. Other places where they are known to set up are beside the downtown post office on Meeting and Broad streets, and on the right side of Highway 17 North, past Mount Pleasant (where you'll find the best prices). Prices range from about $60 for a small basket up into the hundreds for the larger sizes. Many buyers display these treasures in their homes like artwork or sculptures. Please be respectful of the renowned presence of the "basket ladies" in this city. Before taking their photograph, ask permission and offer a tip to show your appreciation.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $91 & up -- Myrtle Beach Resort w/6 pools & 2 Lazy Rivers Sea Watch Resort