Rhode Island Department of Economic Development, Tourism Division (800/556–2484. www.visitrhodeisland.com.)
Department of Environmental Management's Division of Licensing. For information on where to buy licenses for freshwater fishing, contact the Department of Environmental Management's Division of Licensing. 401/222 - 3576. www.dem.ri.gov.
No license is needed for saltwater fishing.
Appalachian Mountain Club. One of the best trail guides for the region is the AMC Massachusetts and Rhode Island Trail Guide, available at local outdoors shops or from the Appalachian Mountain Club. 5 Joy St., Boston, MA, 02108. 800/262–4455. www.amcnarragansett.org.
Audubon Society of Rhode Island. The Audubon Society of Rhode Island leads interesting hikes and field expeditions around the state. 12 Sanderson Rd., Smithfield, RI, 02917. 401/949–5454 - 5454. www.asri.org.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe