- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Westerly is a busy little railroad town that grew up in the late 19th century around a major station on what is now the New York-Boston Amtrak corridor. During the Industrial Revolution and into the 1950s, Westerly was distinguished for its red granite, with which monuments throughout the country were made. It has since sprawled out along U.S. 1 and grown to include seven villages—Westerly itself, or downtown Westerly, Watch Hill, Dunn's Corners, Misquamicut, Bradford, Shelter Harbor, and Weekapaug—encompassing a 33-square-mi area.
Victorian and Greek Revival mansions line many streets off the town center, which is divided by Connecticut from the Pawcatuck River.
Westerly at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $75 -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort incl. Bowling Captain's Quarters
- $98 & up -- Two-Bedroom Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Condo SeaSide
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel