Built in 1773-1774 and designed by Joseph Brown, this brick structure on South Main Street is now home to the Rhode Island School of Design's Film/Animation/Video administrative offices, studios and classrooms, Fine Arts/Foundation Studies computer lab and the Dean of Fine Arts office. It is not open to the public but is historically significant. Tea was burned here in March 1775, and the upper floors were used as barracks for French soldiers during the Revolutionary War. From 1832 to 1878, Market House served as the seat of city government. A plaque shows the height reached by floodwaters during the Great Hurricane of 1938.
27 Market Sq., Providence, Rhode Island, 02903, United States