- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Visitors headed to Newport from the west can save themselves the hassle of parking in Newport and the Newport Pell Bridge toll by parking their cars for free in Jamestown and boarding the Jamestown Newport Ferry. Conanicut Marine operates the 40-foot passenger ferry from One East Ferry Wharf in Jamestown and offers free van shuttle service to a large parking area at nearby Taylor Point. The ferry runs daily mid-June through Labor Day and on weekends Memorial Day weekend through mid-June and late September through Columbus Day. The ferry links the village of Jamestown to Rose Island, Fort Adams State Park, Perrotti Park, Bowen's Wharf, and Waites Wharf. An $18 round-trip rate is good for all day but one-way passage rates and bicycle rates are available. Ferry service starts at 9:15 am in Jamestown, and the last run leaves Newport around 7:20 (or around 11 pm on weekends.)
Oldport Marine Services operates a harbor shuttle service Monday through Thursday from noon to 6 pm and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 11 am to 7 pm ($10 all day, $6 round-trip, $3 one-way). The shuttle lands at Perrotti Park, Bowen's Wharf, Ann Street Pier, International Yacht Restoration School, the Sail Newport dock, Fort Adams, and Goat Island.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's