Marble House Review
One of the most opulent of the Newport mansions, Marble House contains 500,000 cubic feet of marble. The house was built from 1888 to 1892 by William Vanderbilt, who gave it as a gift to his wife, Alva, for her 39th birthday. The house was designed by the architect Richard Morris Hunt who took inspiration from the Petit Trianon at Versailles. The Vanderbilts divorced in 1895 and Alva married Oliver H.P. Belmont, moving down the street to Belcourt Castle. After his death, she reopened Marble House, and had the Chinese Tea House built on the back lawn where she hosted "Votes for Women" rallies.
View deals in Newport County and East Bay for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More