Newport County and East Bay Sights

Advertisement

The Elms Review

Architect Horace Trumbauer modeled this graceful 48-room French neoclassical mansion and its grounds after the Château d'Asnières near Paris. The Elms was built for Edward Julius Berwind, a bituminous-coal baron, in 1901 and was one of the first in Newport to be fully electrified. At the foot of the 10-acre estate is a spectacular sunken garden. The Behind the Scenes tours, which offer a glimpse into the life of staff and the operations (such as the boiler room and kitchen) of the mansion, is one of the best of any of these mansion tours.

    Contact Information

  • Address: 367 Bellevue Ave., Newport, RI, 02840 | Map It
  • Phone: 401/847–1000
  • Cost: $14.50
  • Hours: Jan.–mid-Feb., weekends 10–4; mid-Feb.–mid-March, daily 10–5; mid-March–late Nov., daily 10–6; late Nov.–early Jan., daily 10–5
  • Website:
  • Location: Newport
Updated: 12-23-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

· Map of The Elms

Map of