Newport Folk Festival
Newport Folk Festival Review
Bob Dylan made his premiere national performance at the 1963 Newport Folk Festival. Two years later, some fans booed when he went electric, marking a shift in his own musical trajectory and the start of a larger cultural shift from folk to rock. Held the last weekend in July, the folk fest continues stretching boundaries and keeping things fresh with multiple stages and acts spanning folk, blues, country, bluegrass, folk rock, alt-country, indie folk, and folk punk. Lineups mix veteran performers like Jackson Browne, Patty Griffin, and Arlo Guthrie with younger stars like Conor Oberst, Brandi Carlile, and Deer Tick. The festival is held rain or shine, and seating is general admission on a large uncovered lawn.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's