Rockwood, a quietly elegant English-style country house and a fine example of rural Gothic architecture, stands in contrast to the opulent, French-inspired du Pont homes in the area. Built in 1851 by Joseph Shipley, a Quaker banker, and occupied by his descendants until 1972, the house is now a museum filled with Victorian furnishings and decorative arts. Tours are given on the hour. Beyond the English landscape garden, the 72-acre public grounds feature 2½ mi of paved, lighted trails. In summer Rockwood Park hosts the Delaware Shakespeare Festival.
Washington St. Extension, south of Shipley Rd., Wilmington, Delaware, 19809, United States