- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Henry Francis du Pont (1880–1969) housed his 85,000 objects of American decorative art in a sprawling nine-story country estate called Winterthur. The collection, displayed in 175 rooms, is recognized as one of the nation's finest. Its objects, made or used in America between 1640 and 1860, include Chippendale furniture, silver tankards by Paul Revere, and Chinese porcelain made for George Washington. To view the collection, you can choose between an hour-long introductory tour, different one-hour theme tours (such as "Elegant Entertaining"), and two-hour tours that delve into ceramics, textiles, or furniture. The museum also has galleries with permanent displays and changing exhibitions of antiques and crafts to study at your own pace. No children under 8 are allowed except on the daily family tour, which is open to all but geared to kids ages 4 to 12. Surrounding the estate are 982 acres of landscaped lawns and naturalistic gardens, which you can visit on a 30-minute narrated tram ride or on your own. The Enchanted Woods is a fantasy-theme 3-acre children's garden with an 8-foot-wide bird's nest, a faerie cottage with a thatch roof, and a troll bridge. A gift shop and cafeteria, which serves Sunday brunch, are also on the grounds.
- Address: 5105 Kennett Pike, Rte. 52, 5 mi south of U.S. 1 Winterhur, DE 19735 | Map It
- Phone: 302/888–4600
- Cost: $18 for house, garden, and introductory tour; ticket good for two consecutive days; $30 for house, garden, and one-hour specialty tour; $40 for house, garden, and two-hour specialty tour
- Hours: Tues.–Sun. 10–5; introductory tours offered 10:30–3:30
- Website: www.winterthur.org
- Location: Centreville, Delaware
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
That's quite a mouthful, so I'll just use Tinicum for short.
Today was a gorgeous spring day, the first day that really felt like spring all the way through. Happily, this was also the day chosen for ou Read more
We're here! Read more
What would be the best way to get from Philadelphia Convention Center to the airport (for two teachers) Airport Shuttle? Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more