- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Longwood Gardens Review
Longwood Gardens has established an international reputation for its immaculate, colorful gardens full of flowers and blossoming shrubs. In 1906 Pierre S. du Pont (1870–1945) bought a simple Quaker farm and turned it into the ultimate early-20th-century estate garden. Attractions include magnolias and azaleas in spring; roses and water lilies in summer; chrysanthemums in fall; and camellias, orchids, and palms in winter. You can stroll in the Italian water garden or explore a meadow full of wildflowers on the garden's 350 acres. Bad weather is no problem, as 4 acres of cacti, ferns, and bonsai plants, and the biggest green wall in North America, are housed in heated conservatories. Outdoors is the Bee-aMazed Children's Garden, with a honeycomb maze, queen bee throne, and small splashing fountains. The Indoor Children's Garden has a bamboo maze, a grottolike cave, and a drooling dragon. There is a regular summer concert series, as well as special fireworks and fountain events. The cafeteria (open year-round) and dining room (closed January–March) serve reasonably priced meals.
- Address: 1001 Longwood Rd., 3 mi northeast of Kennett Square along U.S. 1 Kennett Square, PA 19348 | Map It
- Phone: 610/388–1000
- Cost: $18
- Hours: Apr.–May, daily 9–6; June–Aug., Sun.–Wed. 9–6, Thurs.–Sat. 9–10; Sept.–late-Nov., daily 9–5; late-Nov.–early Jan., daily 9–9; early Jan.–Mar., daily 9–5.
- Website: www.longwoodgardens.org
- Location: Kennett Square
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We're here! Read more
We left New Jersey and went straight to our hotel The Windsor Suites. Read more
Hello - Want to plan a summer vacation within driving (up to 10 hours drive) distance of Philadelphia, PA. Read more